A Bigger Scrabble Players (2015 )
photographic drawing printed on paper, mounted on aluminum, edition of 12
184.8 x 177.8 cm
JP, JM, JW in the Studio (2015)
photographic drawing printed on paper, mounted on Dibond, edition of 25
76.2 x 153 cm
The Red Table (2014)
photographic drawing printed on paper, mounted on Dibond, Ed. 8/25
108 x 176.5 cm
The Arrival of Spring in Woldgate, East Yorkshire in 2011 (twenty eleven) - 19 March 2011 (2011)
iPad drawing printed on paper, edition of 25
139.7 x 105.4 cm
The Arrival of Spring in Woldgate, East Yorkshire in 2011 (twenty eleven) - 24 April 2011 (2011)
iPad drawing printed on paper, ED. 14/25
139.7 x 105.4 cm
David Hockney was born in Bradford in 1937. He graduated from the Bradford School of Art in 1957 and studied at the Royal College of Art from 1959–62. While there he met RB Kitaj and became instrumental in the founding of the British Pop Art movement. Hockney settled in Los Angeles in 1978.
He has been the subject of countless solo exhibitions worldwide including a major touring retrospective held at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and the Tate Gallery, London in 1988.
Annely Juda Fine Art have represented David Hockney since 1996. Over many years David Hockney has been known for responding to new technological possibilities and has famously used ipad drawings, poloroid photography, faxed images and photocopying in his art.
- Whilst still at college exhibits in the 'Young Contemporaries' and 'London Group' exhibitions which brings his work to the attention of the London public. Meets John Kasmin who would later (1963) become his London gallery
- Moves to Los Angeles. Makes first Swimming Pool paintings. Begins using photographs as studies for paintings and working with acrylic paint. Paints 'A Bigger Splash'. Wins first prize at the John Moores Exhibition, Liverpool
- First retrospective exhibition held at the Whitechapel Gallery, London (which later tours to Hanover, Rotterdam and Belgrade). Begins work on 'Mr & Mrs Clarke and Percy' which he finishes the following year.
- A major retrospective of his work is held at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and subsequently is shown at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York and at the Tate Gallery, London. Begins making prints using a fax machine.
- New still life paintings, portraits and self portraits form largest London private gallery exhibition ‘Flowers, Faces and Spaces’ at Annely Juda Fine Art, London. Experiments with new techniques on a series of prints of flowers, chairs, portraits and self portraits.
- In January three exhibitions are shown simultaneously in Paris: ‘David Hockney. Espace Paysage’ at the Centre Georges Pompidou, ‘Dialogue avec Picasso’ at the Musée Picasso and ‘David Hockney Photographies’ at the Maison Européene de la Photographie.
- National Portrait Gallery, London shows Five Double Portraits by David Hockney
- 'David Hockney RA: A Bigger Picture', Royal Academy, London, Museo Guggenheim, Bilbao, Museum Ludwig, Cologne
- 'David Hockney: Painting and Photography' Annely Juda Fine Art, London & L.A. Louver, California 'The Arrival of Spring', Salts Mill, West Yorkshire and Annely Juda Fine Art, London
- '82 Portraits and 1 Still Life' Royal Academy of Arts, London 'The Yosemite Suite' Annely Juda Fine Art, London
- Tate Britain, London & Centre Pompidou, Paris (Retrospective Exhibition)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York (Retrospective Exhibition)