Jannis Kounellis, born in Greece before settling in Rome in 1956. Part of the Arte Povera movement he moved away from traditional canvas and drawings to using found objects composed on ready-made supports; door frames, bedsteads, sheets of steel etc utilising all manner of materials. He has also made performance works, travelling all through Europe and in 1974 he participated in ADA in Berlin performing with artists such as Edward Kienholz and Wolf Vostell.
Kounellis has exhibited in numerous international exhibitions; Documenta, Venice Biennale, MOCA, Chicago, Tate Modern and his works are held by major museum throught the world.
- Born in Piraeus, Greece
- Late 1950s
- Accademia di Belle Arti in Rome, Italy
- Lives and works in Rome, Italy
- Died in Rome, Italy
- Museum of Cycladic Art, Athens
- National Centre for Contemporary Art, Moscow
- Neue National Galerie, Berlin
- Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Moderna, Rome
- Musee d'Art Contemporain, Bordeaux
- Travel solo show at Stedelijk Van Abbemuseum, Amsterdam; Caja de Pensiones, Madrid; the Whitechapel Art Gallery, London and the Staatliche Kunsthalle, Baden-Baden
- Sonnabend Gallery, New York