Words Like a Tower (2011)
Painted camphor wood, marble, brass, bronze, glass and stainless steel
123.5 x 63 x 28 cm (ref:KF0093)
Funakoshi is considered a leading name in the field of visual arts in his country, Japan. Working predominantely with camphor wood, his works, usually depicting human figures from the waist up, have a great poetical effect, and are striking and distinctive. Funakoshi works this material in a personal way and leaves visible both the grain of the wood and the marks of carving.
Funakoshi has exhibited his work at the Venice Biennale, the São Paulo Biennale, the Documenta IX, and the Shanghai Biennale, and his work is represented in several art museums in Japan and other countries. He lives and works in Tokyo.
- Born in Morioka City, Iwate Prefecture, Japan
- Studied Sculpture at the Tokyo Zokei University, Art and Design
- Awarded Excellence Prize 'Oyama-City with Sculpture'
- Awarded Takashimaya Charitable Trust for Art and Culture Prize
- Awarded the 26th Nakahara Teijiro Prize for Excellence
- Awarded the 18th Hirakushi Denchu Prize
- Mie Prefectural Art Museum, Tsu, Japan
- Galerie Claude Bernard, Paris
- Galerie Albrecht, Berlin
- Annely Juda Fine Art, London
- 35th Anniversary: Seven, Nishimura Gallery, Tokyo
- "A Map of Time", Annely Juda Fine Art, London
- Nishimura Gallery, Tokyo
- Museum of Modern Art, Kamakura