Born in 1933 in Germany. In 1963 Peter Kalkhof moved to London. From an early age, Kalkhof's visual interest was stimulated by anything colourful in nature or in man-made objects. Since then, the use of formal elements of straight and curved line, and painted colour fields in grids, circles and squares, have been distinctive pictorial features in his work over the last 59 years.
Kalkhof constantly directed our attention to historically resonant, well-established forms and primary basic colours, which exist across numerous cultures and periods of time. He also had an additional interest and curiosity for ancient and modern cultures outside Europe, especially the Orient. He reflected on these cultures and their inclusion of geometry, and these elements filter into his work through his use of colour and form.
- Born in Germany
- Studied painting at the School of Arts and Crafts, Braunschweig, and the Academy of Fine Art, Stuttgart. Later, studied at the Slade School of Art, London, and the École des Beaux-Arts, Paris.
- Moved to England.
- Taught at Reading University, Fine Art Department.
- Died in London
- "Colour and Space", Annely Juda Fine Art, London
- Merston Gallery, Chichester
- "Centre to Periphery", Annely Juda Fine Art, London
- t1+2 artspace, London
- "Horizons", Annely Juda Fine Art, London