Yuko Shiraishi makes abstract paintings with remarkable but balanced use of colour. Whereas most of Shiraishi's earlier paintings incorporate lines and geometrical shapes, these works have a much freer quality and are especially gestural. The painterly background colour, which often almost resembles a wash, is accentuated by seemingly randomly placed coloured dots on the surface of the paintings.
Shiraishi is also known for working on several architectural profects and curating exhibitions and biennales. In the last few years she has worked together with musicians and in 2011 made a square vinyl record entitled Specimen. Also, she has created room installations like Space Elevator Tea House (2009) and Nether World (2013).
- Born in Tokyo
- Chelsea School of Art, BA
- Chelsea School of Art, MA
- Jerwood Painting Prize, Royal Scottish Academy, Edinburgh, Scotland & Royal Academy of Arts, London
- Lives and works in London
- Magnetic Day, Hans Meyer Galerie, Duesseldorf
- Eglesia de convent de San Domingo, Pollenca
- Signal, Annely Juda Fine Art, London
- Space Space, Kukje Gallery, Seoul, Korea
- Specimen, Shigeru Yokota Gallery, TPH, Tokyo
- Even if Love, Kunstverein Ludwigshafen and Wilhelm-Hack-Museum (with Birgitta Weimer)
- Infinite Line, Unendliche Linie, Museum Wiesbaden, Germany
- Episode, Mead Gallery, Warwick Arts Centre, University of Warwick, Coventry, Leeds City Art Gallery
- As Dark as Light, Tate Gallery St Ives, Cornwall