Danish modernist sculptor and painter Robert Jacobsen was born in Copenhagen in 1912. During WWII he had a close association with modernist artists that formed the COBRA movement, though he never joined. During this period he made monumental stone sculptures including series titled “Mythical Creatures (Fabeldy)” and in the late 40’s “Dolls (Dukkerne)”. He travelled to France with his colleague Richard Mortensen in 1947 and started making cast iron sculptures. He stayed in France until 1969 when he moved to Tagelund, west of Egtved, Denmark, to take up prestigious teaching positions.
From 1976 to 1985 he was professor at the Royal Danish Academy of Art, Copenhagen. From 1986 to 1991 he worked with Jean Clareboudt to create a sculpture park at Torskind Gravel Pit near Egtved and Vejle in Denmark. Jacobsen was awarded the Thorvaldsen Medal in 1967 and In 1974 the Prince Eugen Medal by the King of Sweden. Jacobsen died in 1993 in Tågelund.
Robert Jacobsen's sculpture is represented in the collections of major Museums around the world including: Wilhelm Hack Museum (Ludwigshafen, Germany) Lembruck Museum (Duisburg, Germany), Musee National d'Art Modern (Paris, France) Centre Pompidou (Paris, France) Musee Rodin Paris (France) Stedelijk Museum (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) Kröller-Müller Museum (Otterlo, The Netherlands) Nationalgalerie (Oslo, Norway) Moderna Museet (Stockholm, Sweden) Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (Washington, USA).